Saturday, October 28, 2006

When adoption becomes a fashion. .
.

I read about Madonna adopting a child and all the fuss she encounter in that case.
What came to my mind when I first read about it was; “Now you see. . .It will become a fashion among the rich and famous to adopt children, because they want to copycat Angelina Jolie.”
This is a dangerous trend.
Angelina adopted her children without a lot of coverage and fuss, just because that was her personality in her work in Unicef. She even adopted the children although she was single.
After my opinion, if other rich and famous people want to walk her shoes. .
Why not “adopt on distance”? Meaning. . . You make a personal deal concerning one or several children in an orphanage and agree on a personal coverage of food, health-care, clothes and education of that/ those children, while they still are in their own environment. You visit them and take them for holiday, etc.
To adopt because of fame or to take attention is wrong. Maybe Madonna is serious, but she has her own kids and could afford to do things in a different way. Was it really the child’s best she was thinking about, or was it her own vanity?
If I had her means, I would have made a deal with the whole orphanage. To once a month send clothes, food and equipment to cover all the children in the orphanage. Give regular visits to ensure the children are taken well care of etc.
In stead, she took one child and makes a nursery-room more costly that
US $ 20 000,-
That’s insane, if you ask me. . . . what is your opinion??

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you. I feel that the celebs think it is 'fashionable' to have an adopted child. I feel so deeply for the children involved and hope that they can overcome the publicity and become well adjusted adults.

Anonymous said...

i think ifi have the kinda money that Madonna has, i'll probably do as what you have suggest. But that seems very unlikely.

Personally, I have always wanted to go for adoption in my older years, when my child have grown up. Been having this thought since young.

If I can provide a better home for at least 1 unfortunate kid, giving him/her the chance to lead a better life, then why not.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine going in and picking just one of those poor children. Like you Kirsten I think if these rich celebs want to help & still get their publicity then they could make a big donation that would benefit all the children and not just a select few. That 20,000 dollars would have been a fortune to an orphanage over there.

Kirsten N. Namskau said...

Jose: Yes, that's what I mean too. $20 000,- over here gives food to ALL the children a whole year... good food.
Here in Egypt we have an orphanage builded and run completely by volunatery students inside different fields of education.
If my book sell, I have had in my mind,from the beginning, to donate to that orphanage.
I'm so impressed by those students hard work, free of charge... Can you ever imagine??

k said...

I'm with you. Madonna has always been this way. But this is the first time she's used an innocent little baby for her own piggishness.

Excuse me, I greatly dislike her character. I have no problem with her sexuality, for example; what bothers me is that it's phony. False. She does things to shock people and make a big splash, rather than because she truly believes in what she's doing.

Thus the $20,000 nursery, leaving other kids unfed.

Anonymous said...

It's disgusting how these celebrities go "buy" children like they would a pet dog or a new pair of shoes.

The thought of adopting a poor child out of Africa, or South Asia
doesn't bother me as much as the thought of what happens when these people grow tired of their new lifelong responsibility.

BobG said...

I think I'd have to agree with you.

k said...

Yes. It's why we don't give kids bunnies and baby chicks for pets on Easter.

Infinitesimal said...

Madonna always pulls a publicity stunt before her album comes out.

her album is coming out

she said she does have a project to give money to the orphanage

she also said she offere to support the father (a widow) and he takes care of his own son.
she said the father refused the idea

she is a lame person who is very very very selfish.

she is maybe vain over selfish, but i dislike her